Submissions to the 2022 Poetry Marathon Anthology are open now and will stay open through Friday, the 22nd of July! For the first time the anthology will have two different editors. Make sure you submit to the right editor.
Ofuma Agali, is this year’s full marathon editor. He is a 44 years old writer and editor based in Lagos, Nigeria. His works have appeared in Nigerian publications – Post Express Literary Supplement, The Guardian, The Vanguard, and National Mirror – as well as in publications in other climes – Sentinel Literary Quarterly, Praxis Journal of Gender & Cultural Critiques, The Kalahari Review, and The Purposeful Mayonnaise. He has also written a full-length published collection of poems, If We Are Willing The Earth Will Listen (2017). A revised version of this is ready for publication later this year. He holds a first degree in physics from the University of Uyo and a post-graduate diploma in marketing management from the Lagos State University. He has written two unpublished collections of short fiction and has several works in progress, including a collection of poems and a collection of short fiction.
The following guidelines are for Full 24 Hour Marathoners only. Read the guidelines carefully before submitting. The anthology is only sustainable if people follow the guidelines.
When you submit you must include in the email the following:
- The subject line should state “Full Marathon Submissions”. (If you are a half marathoner, do not follow these guidelines. Instead, refer to the Half Marathon submission guidelines.)
- The body of the email should start with your location.
- It should also include the hour of the marathon the poem was written in.
- As well as a link to your poetry marathon page. If your poetry marathon name is different than your name, include both and make it clear which name you want to appear in the anthology.
- Two poems pasted into the body of the email. All submissions must include two poems, no more, no less.
All full 24 hour marathon submissions must be emailed to: email@example.com
DO NOT email us at the email address we use for all other communications or to the half marathon address if you are a full marathoner!
Also take note of the following additional information:
- DO NOT email us at the email address we use for all other communications or to the half marathon address if you are a full marathoner!
- One poem will be chosen per poet to be featured within the anthology; the only exception to this is if your poems contain hate speech or are illegible. In both cases, we will reach out to you directly.
- Due to issues that happened in the past, no one is allowed to announce that their poem has been accepted for publication until Thursday, the 1st of September, unless notified otherwise. Announcements made on the marathon groups before September 1st will be deleted. Please do not query about the status of your submission via email or the FB page until after September 1st.
Thank you for following the guidelines! I know they might seem strict but they make it possible to put together an anthology in a few months. The anthology should be published before Christmas. Last year a lot of people did not follow the guidelines and we experienced significant slow down because of this. The anthology is only sustainable if people follow the guidelines.
After the poems are published in the anthology, all rights return to you.
Digital copies will be made available for free to any contributor. Print copies will be available for a reasonable price and any money that is made from selling the anthology will go towards covering the cost of the marathon.