- You’re counting the numbers on hopscotch squares:
One two three jump, five six seven jump,
You could never be patient enough to wait your next turn.
- You’re counting the minutes until we are free:
Ten minutes, nine minutes, eight minutes, seven,
You could never race out of that room fast enough.
- You’re counting the candles dripping wax on your cake,
fourteen years, fifteen years, sixteen years old,
You could never wait to add on another.
- You’re counting the miles as they spread out behind you:
100, 200, 300 miles gone,
You could never wait to break free of this town.
- I’m counting the days since they gave us the news,
10 days, 11 days, 12 days dead,
I wonder if you counted or if you just jumped,
You could never work out when you ought to slow down.